Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 926 The royal merchant
TitleThe royal merchant
Other related names
- Norris, Henry, 1665-1731, attributed name
- Furness, Horace Howard, 1865-1930, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 926
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 3559145
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Written in England in the 18th century.
Play in five acts, opening scene in Atlantis, with leading characters Navalda, King of Atlantis, and Albright, the Royal Merchant.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (p. i). Attribution to the actor Henry Norris written in a second, later hand (p. i), but this is not the adaptation of Beaumont and Fletcher's Beggar's Bush which was published in 1706 with a dedicatory preface by Henry Norris, nor is it Hull's adaptation.
- Forms part of Horace Howard Furness Memorial Collection.
Extent60 leaves : 249 x 198 (179 x 139) mm. bound to 260 x 210 mm
FoliationPaper, iii (contemporary paper) + 60 + i (contemporary paper); [iv], 1-109, [110-114]; contemporary pagination in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary leather, rebacked.
- Gift of Horace Howard Furness, Jr. (bookplate, inside upper cover).
- Atlantis (Legendary place)--Drama
- English drama--18th century
- Plays (document genre)
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
1490_0001.tif (102.9 MB)
1490_0001_thumb.jpg (6.6 KB)
1490_0001_web.jpg (498.7 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside back cover
1490_0128.tif (102.9 MB)
1490_0128_thumb.jpg (6.7 KB)
1490_0128_web.jpg (545.0 KB)
mscodex926_wk1_front0003a.tif (102.9 MB)
mscodex926_wk1_front0003a_thumb.jpg (2.9 KB)
mscodex926_wk1_front0003a_web.jpg (146.2 KB)