Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize Ms. Codex 96 Opuscula varia
- Gerson, Jean, 1363-1429
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 96
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9915804153503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Collection of works by Jean Gerson (works 1-11; 21-24), together with a few works not by him. The pastedown in the front of the volume lists its contents, but does not include works 21-24 and the subsequent notes (f. 157v-159v).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Quires 10 and 11 (f. 99-120, containing works 7-12 of the present manuscript) were originally a separate codicological unit. Some original folio numbers are extant and indicate that f. 99-120 were originally numbered 1-21. These quires may be slightly earlier in date than the rest of the manuscript. They were added to the rest of the volume when it was bound in the late 15th century.
- Folio 159 loose; completely detached from binding.
- Many folios show evidence of mildew and mold damage. The following notation in pencil is found inside lower cover: "This MS fumigated to prevent further growth of mold Jan. 1950 after technique of Brit. Mus. W. Spawn." [Willman Spawn was a scholar and codicologist at the University of Pennsylvania.].
- Front cover has writing and a label that are hard to read. Spine shows traces of similar labels.
- The copies of works 7-12 (f. 99r-120v) may be slightly earlier than the rest of the volume. The copies of works 21-24 and the following notes (f. 157-159v) are slightly later, dating to the end of the 15th century.
WatermarkSimilar to Piccard, vol. 2: 3, XIII. 587-588 (1463, Lienz, Donauwörth, Öhringen), on ff. 1-98, 123-146, 149-156. Similiar to Piccard, vol. 11: II. 471-524, on f. 99-122. Piccard, vol. 8, IV. 50 (Mainz, 1466), on f. 147-8, 157-159.
Extent156 leaves : 299 x 214 (207 x 142) mm. bound to 306 x 211 mm
CollationPaper, 156; [i]¹, 1⁷, 2⁶, 3⁶(-2), 4-6⁶, 7⁶(-1), 8-13⁶, 14¹; [1-26, 29-159]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto; modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corner. Pages 1 and 314 are pastedowns. Folios 27-28 are missing, and f. 82 is almost completely torn out.
Binding15th-century German pigskin over boards, incised and stamped with metal clasps and etiquettes; including a "Maria" banner. Binding in generally good condition, though the leather is peeling and pulling away from the boards in places and from the upper spine. The lower clasp is missing. There are worm holes in the cover boards, particularly at the top and fore edges.
Extensive rubrication used for initials, capitals, headings, and underlining; Three consanguinity diagrams (f. 147r, 147v, 148v)
- Formerly held at the Carthusian monastery in Buxheim (Germany). Three ex libris notations: "Carthusien. in Buxia" (f. 1r); "Carthusianorum Patrum/ Hulae B. V. Mariae in Buxheim" (f. 2r); "Hunc liber dedit dominus Johannes Frank socius divinorum apud Sanctum/ Martinum in Memmingen fratribus ordinis carthusiensis in buchsheim/ oretur pro eo propter deum" (inside lower cover).
- Formerly owned by Presb. F. Vallée (ex libris, inside upper cover); Ludwig Rosenthal (Catalogue 120 (1909), no. 127; description, inside upper cover). Also includes a description from an unidentified catalog (inside upper cover).
- Purchased, 1949.
- Catholic Church--Discipline
- Catholic Church--Doctrines
- Theology--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Oversize Ms. Codex 96: Opuscula varia are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
1950_0001.tif (60.7 MB)
1950_0001_thumb.jpg (6.7 KB)
1950_0001_web.jpg (381.7 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
Decoration: Seller's description, Inside front cover
1950_0004.tif (60.7 MB)
1950_0004_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
1950_0004_web.jpg (261.5 KB)
Decoration: Owner note, f. 2r
1950_0013.tif (60.7 MB)
1950_0013_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
1950_0013_web.jpg (382.5 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 6v
1950_0015.tif (60.7 MB)
1950_0015_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
1950_0015_web.jpg (385.3 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 7v
1950_0016.tif (60.7 MB)
1950_0016_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
1950_0016_web.jpg (376.2 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 8r
1950_0020.tif (60.7 MB)
1950_0020_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
1950_0020_web.jpg (377.1 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 10r
1950_0024.tif (60.7 MB)
1950_0024_thumb.jpg (6.3 KB)
1950_0024_web.jpg (368.5 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 12r