Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1197 Praśnopaniṣad / प्रश्नोपनिषद्
TitlePraśnopaniṣad / प्रश्नोपनिषद्
Other related names
- Kāśyāṇḍeṅkare Māhādeva, scribe
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1197
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963595033503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is used for contemplation, study, and recitation, and is a late Vedic work that addresses early philosophical concepts of the Self (ātman) and poses a series of questions (praśna) and answers between students and their teacher. In the process the work addresses and offers an interpretation of early social and ritual action.
- Title from colophon (f. 7v).
- Written in 10 lines per leaf.
- 7 leaves foliated 1-7, upper left and lower right verso.
- Scribe is Kāśyāṇḍeṅkare Māhādeva (f. 7v).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
Extent1 item (7 leaves) : 11 x 24 cm
ColophonColophon: iti praśnopaniṣatsamāptaḥ // (f. 7v).
- Hinduism--Examinations, questions, etc
- Self (Philosophy)
- Hindu philosophy
- Philosophy, Indic
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1197: Praśnopaniṣad are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.