Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1266 Vākyavṛtti / वाक्यवृत्ति
TitleVākyavṛtti / वाक्यवृत्ति
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1266
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963754323503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript used for contemplation and study and is a short Hindu philosophical treatise and commentary on the Great saying (mahāvākya), particularly the phrase, You are that (tat tvam asi), often functioning as a mantra and derived from late Vedic upaniṣads. The work is written from the perspective of the Advaita (non-dualism) Vedanta school of philosophy.
- Title from colophon (f. 2v).
- Written in 12-13 lines per leaf.
- 2 leaves foliated 1-2, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red.
Extent1 item (2 leaves) : 11 x 25 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīmatparamahaṃsaparivrājakācāryaviracitaṃ vākyavṛttiḥ samāptā // (f. 2v).
- Hindu mantras
- Hindu philosophy
- Philosophy, Indic
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1266: Vākyavṛtti are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.