Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1298 Kāmyeṣṭi / काम्येष्टि
TitleKāmyeṣṭi / काम्येष्टि
Other related names
- Sadāśiva (Son of Kāśinātha), associated name
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1298
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963919173503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Selections from Baudhāyana's Prayogasāra, and is a collection of rules and regulations (dharma or Hindu law) containing Vedic rites for use by Hotṛ priests; work is especially concerned with rites for the obtainment of desired objects.
- Title from colophon (f. 49v).
- Written in 10-12 lines per leaf.
- 50 leaves foliated 1-50, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated śaka 1735 (1813) (f. 49v).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with quadruple red line; borders on title pages marked with double red lines.
- Manuscript is part of a group of manuscripts written by or under the direction of Sadāśiva, along with Ms. Coll. 390, Item 1276, Item 1279, Item 1280, Item 1281, Item 1282, Item 1283, Item 1284, Item 1285, Item 1286, Item 1287, Item 1288, Item 1289, Item 1292, Item 1293, Item 1294, Item 1295, Item 1296, Item 1297, Item 1299, and Item 1300. Although no scribe is named, the manuscript is written on the same paper, in the same style, and on the same general subject (performing Vedic rites and ceremonies) as the other manuscripts in the group. The date of the manuscript falls within the dates of the manuscripts known to be written by or under the direction of Sadāśiva.
Extent1 item (50 leaves) : 11 x 26 cm
ColophonColophon: iti baudhāyanoktakāmyeṣṭayaḥ samāptaḥ // (f. 49v).
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu law
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1298: Kāmyeṣṭi are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- fol. 41v-42r — Illustration, f. 42r
5478_0041.tif (97.2 MB)
5478_0041_thumb.jpg (7.7 KB)
5478_0041_web.jpg (554.4 KB)
Decoration: Illustration, f. 42r