Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1335 Somotpatti / सोमोत्पत्ति
TitleSomotpatti / सोमोत्पत्ति
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1335
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963979633503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is a ritual manual with various rules of dharma and procedures and laws, associated with the performance of Vedic rites; the work also discusses the origins of the moon and contains mantras (words or phrases of power) for recitation during ceremonies. Sometimes employed during the birth of children or in other domestic contexts.
- Title from colophon (f. 2v).
- Written in 8-9 lines per leaf.
- 2 leaves foliated 1-2, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
- Watermark showing part of a crest of some kind.
Extent1 item (2 leaves) : 10 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti somotpattiḥ samāptaḥ // (f. 2v).
- Childbirth--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Hindu mantras
- Hindu mythology
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu law
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1335: Somotpatti are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.