Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Somotpatti
Call numberMs. Coll. 390
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6397963
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Manuscript is a ritual manual with various rules of dharma and procedures and laws, associated with the performance of Vedic rites; the work also discusses the origins of the moon and contains mantras (words or phrases of power) for recitation during ceremonies. Sometimes employed during the birth of children or in other domestic contexts.
- Title from colophon (f. 2v).
- Written in 8-9 lines per leaf.
- 2 leaves foliated 1-2, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
- Watermark showing part of a crest of some kind.
Extent1 10 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti somotpattiḥ samāptaḥ // (f. 2v).
- Childbirth--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Hindu mantras
- Hindu mythology
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu law
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century