Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1341 Rākṣoghnasūktavidhi / राक्षोघ्नसूक्तविधि
TitleRākṣoghnasūktavidhi / राक्षोघ्नसूक्तविधि
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1341
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963980003503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manual including rites, regulations and rules of dharma about the performance of a Vedic fire rite (homa) in order to celebrate the Destroyer of demons (Rākṣoghna), and protect the home from demons and other malevolent spirits. Work also contains Vedic hymns (sūkta) in praise of various Vedic gods to cause the destruction of demons. Manuscript was part of a larger compilation of Vedic rites and rituals.
- Title from final title page (f. 5v).
- Written in 9-10 lines per leaf.
- 5 leaves foliated 1-5, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out.
- Watermark of part of a crest.
Extent1 item (5 leaves) : 10 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti rākṣoghnasūktavidhiḥ // (f. 5r)
- Homa (Rite)
- Fire--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu law
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1341: Rākṣoghnasūktavidhi are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.