Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Yajñopavīta
Call numberMs. Coll. 390
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6747556
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Part of a manual or guide giving an overview of the regulations (Hindu laws) governing the performance of the sacred thread ceremony according to Vedic tradition; contains mantras (words and phrases of power) for recitation during the thread ceremony.
- Title from incipit (f. 1r); alternate title Yajñopavītamantra supplied by cataloger.
- Written in 9-11 lines per leaf.
- 4 leaves foliated 1-4, upper left and lower right verso.
- Incipit: śrīgaṇeṣāyanamaḥ // adyetyadi - śrīparameśvaraprItyarthaṃ yajñopavītasaskāraṃka (f. 1r).
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; verse dividers highlighted in red throughout.
Extent1 16 x 11 cm
- Hindu mantras
- Sacred thread ceremony
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu law
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century