Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1411 Kokilapūjana / कोकिलपूजन
TitleKokilapūjana / कोकिलपूजन
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1411
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9964155063503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manual with associated instructions, rules, and laws (dharma) for the completion of a ritual observance and fast (vrata) directed towards the worship of the Hindu deity Kokila, a form of the goddess Satī, wife of Śiva, after she transformed into a cuckoo (kokila) upon her death. Much of the text deals with food offerings to the goddess. Satī is a form of the goddess Pārvatī, whose death occurs when she throws herself into a sacrificial fire; an act known commonly as widow burning is named after the goddess.
- Title from incipit (f. 1r).
- Written in 8-10 lines per leaf.
- 4 leaves foliated 1-4, upper left and lower right verso.
- Watermark of possibly a coat of arms or circular commercial design with words or letters around the outer border.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; vertical margins marked with double red line.
Extent1 item (4 leaves) : 11 x 15 cm
- Cuckoos--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu law
- Food--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Parvati (Hindu deity)
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1411: Kokilapūjana are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.