Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1440 Halaṣaṣṭhivratakathā / हलषष्ठिव्रतकथा
TitleHalaṣaṣṭhivratakathā / हलषष्ठिव्रतकथा
Other related names
- Kṛṣṇabhaṭṭa Dāḍekara, scribe
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1440
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957025353503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Treatise on how to perform vows, especially fasting, during the sixth day of the month of Bhādrapada (August to September) and dedicated to Hala, the one who bears the plough, an epithet of the Hindu deity Balarāma, the elder brother of the Kṛṣṇa. Vow helps women to give birth to sons and its preliminary rites involve bathing, inviting the presence of Śiva and Gaurī (Pārvatī) and offering them fragrant flowers and other gifts and must be presided over by a Brahman with knowledge of pratiṣṭha rites. Frames some of the vows within the mythology of the legendary figure Candrabhaṭṭa who lived in the city of Candra and various other Hindu mythological figures.
- Title from colophon (f. 5v).
- Written in 8-9 lines per leaf.
- 5 leaves foliated 1-5, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1914 (1857) (f. 5v).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout.
- Scribe is Kṛṣṇabhaṭṭa Dāḍekara (f. 5 v) possibly related to Bhāskara Daḍekara, the scribe named in Ms. Coll. 390, Item 1419.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (5 leaves) : 11 x 22 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrībrahmāṃḍapurāṇe halaṣaṣṭhīvratakathāsamāptā // svastśrīsaṃvat 1914 śuklanāmasaṃvatsare śrāvaṇakṛṣṇa 4 samāptaṃ // likhitaṃ śrīkṛṣṇabhaṭadāḍekarasya // (f. 5v).
- Balarāma (Hindu deity)
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Hindu mythology
- Hindu goddesses
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Fasting--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Childbirth--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1440: Halaṣaṣṭhivratakathā are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.