Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1505 Kāvyarākṣasa / काव्यराक्षस
TitleKāvyarākṣasa / काव्यराक्षस
- Rākṣasa Kavi
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1505
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9967589903503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Love poem comprised of 20 verses with erotic imagery and lush images of flora, fauna, and especially clouds to convey tone and mood of the poem. There is a reference to Hari (Viṣṇu) so may have Vaiṣṇva influence. A commentary, possibly by Subodhini, runs parallel above and below the root text.
- Title from colophon (f. 11r ); alternate title Rākṣasakāvya from wrapper notes; title of commentary Subodhiniṭīkā supplied by cataloger.
- Written in 9-12 lines per leaf.
- 11 leaves foliated 1-11, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; vertical margins marked with triple black line.
Extent1 item (11 leaves) : 12 x 25 cm
ColophonColophon: iti kāvyarārākṣasaḥ samāptaḥ (f. 11r).
- Erotic poetry, Indic
- Erotic poetry, Sanskrit
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1505: Kāvyarākṣasa are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.