Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Vedoktapitṛsūkta
Other related names
- Candravallabha, dedicatee
Call numberMs. Coll. 390
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5861734
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Manuscript is a collection or compendium of Vedic hymns dedicate to ancestors, to be employed during Hindu funeral services. Manuscript was likely used in a funeral rite.
- Title from colophon (f. 31r).
- Written in 7-10 lines per leaf.
- 31 leaves foliated 1-31, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1863 and śaka 1728 (1806) (f. 31r).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins in red and black; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout.
- Formerly housed with item 173 and item 174.
- Bound on top horizontal.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 11 x 27 cm
ColophonColophon: iti vedoktaṃ pitṛ sūktam // (f. 31r).
- Written for the abolution ceremony (udaka) of Candravallabha (the dedicatee), likely at his funeral (f. 31r).
- Hindu funeral rites and ceremonies
- Ancestor worship--Hinduism
- Vedic literature
- Hindu hymns, Sanskrit
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century