Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2015 Gāyatrībhāṣya / गायत्रीभाष्य
TitleGāyatrībhāṣya / गायत्रीभाष्य
- Sāyaṇa, -1387
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2015
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9970656613503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Treatise and commentary on the hymn of the Gāyatrī mantra (serving both as deity and type of verse), specifically on its verses from the Ṛgveda. The manuscript, though bearing a title on the first folio (f. 1r), appears to begin in the middle of the text and gives only a partial colophon suggesting that the commentary will help to clear away darkness with respect to the Vedas. The colophon appears to be part of a signature ending to the R̥gvedabhāṣya (or R̥gvedabhāṣyabhūmikā) by the 14th-century author Sāyaṇa, the brother of the Mīmāmsā philosopher Mādhva, to whom the text is dedicated (though not in name).
- Title from colophon (f. 2v).
- Written in 8-9 lines per leaf.
- 2 leaves foliated 1-2, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out.
- Partial watermark, possibly part of a large number or letter.
Extent1 item (2 leaves) : 11 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti tṛtīyasya caturthe daśamovargaḥ vedārthasya prakāśena tamohārdanivākhyan pumarthāṃścaturovedānvidyātīrthamaheśvaraḥ 1 śrīkṛṣṇārpaṇam astu (f. 2v).
- Gāyatrī (Hindu deity)
- Hindu mantras
- Hindu hymns
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2015: Gāyatrībhāṣya are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.