Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Śrāvaṇakarmamantrārtha
Call numberMs. Coll. 390
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 7065664
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Collection of rites with rules and regulations as guidelines (dharma, Hindu law) to be performed (including mantras) in relation to the Śravaṇa star over which Viṣṇu presides. Includes Vedic fire rites and ceremonies such as Sarpabali.
- Title from incipit (f. 1r).
- Written in 11 lines per leaf.
- 13 leaves foliated 1-13, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated most likely to the mid-19th century (1830-1860) based on another manuscript using paper with the same watermarks, but in that case including the date 1839 (see Ms. Coll. 390, Item 889).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; vertical margins marked with triple red line.
- Blue, European-made paper with watermarks of the name J. Caperony as well as J. Caprony, presumably two spellings of the same company, and the initials B. F. S. and L.
Extent1 13 x 31 cm
- Hindu law
- Hindu mantras
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu astrology
- Hindu astronomy
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century