Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Rudra
Call numberMs. Coll. 390
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 7078396
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Vedic hymns praising the deity Rudra (the howler) a Vedic precedent for the Hindu deity Śiva. Text is often referred to as the Śatarudrīya or 100 Rudras.
- Title from title page (f. 1r); alternate title Śatarudrīya supplied by cataloger.
- Written in 7 lines per leaf.
- 18 leaves foliated 1-18, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1913 (1856) (f. 18v), but dated in a second scribal hand likely after the manuscript was originally written and possibly by a former owner.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins, many in a second scribal hand; opening phrase highlighted in red; metrical accents in red and black throughout to aid in recitation.
Extent1 11 x 19 cm
- Rudra (Hindu deity)
- Hindu hymns, Sanskrit
- Hymns (documents)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century