Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2044 Pañcamāraṇyaka. / पञ्चमारण्यक
TitlePañcamāraṇyaka. / पञ्चमारण्यक
Other related names
- Bhaṭṭaṃbhaṭṭa, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2044
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9970784453503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Canonical Hindu text deals with symbolic interpretation of the Vedic sacrifice and functions as an ancient commentary on Vedic hymns and as a ritual manual.
- Title from colophon (f. 65v); alternate title Āraṇya from note on final folio (f. 65v).
- Written in 8-10 lines per leaf.
- 65 leaves foliated 1-65, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1730 (1673) (f. 65v), but in a second scribal hand by a former owner, so the manuscript is likely older than this date.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; some significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double black line.
Extent1 item (65 leaves) : 10 x 20 cm
ColophonColophon: iti paṃcamāraṇyake tṛtiyo 'dhyāyaḥ // (f. 65v).
- Formerly owned by Bhaṭṭaṃbhaṭṭa (f. 65v).
- Sacrifice--Hinduism--Early works to 1800
- Rites and ceremonies--India--Early works to 1800
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Hymns (documents)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--17th century
- Manuscripts--India--17th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2044: Pañcamāraṇyaka. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.