Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Śikṣā
Call numberMs. Coll. 390
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 7082152
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Manuscript is a short treatise on the grammatical structure of Vedic hymns and is considered part of Vedic supplementary literature, the Vedāṅga. Manuscript begins with the fourth chapter of Pāṇini's complete work but likely represents a particular short recension, reconfiguration, or selection of the larger work. A short second supplementary work on astrology called the Vedāṅgajyotiṣa (also called Jyotiṣavedāṅga) is found at the end of the manuscript (f. 7r-10r).
- Title from title page (f. 1r); alternate title Vedāṃgaśikṣā from colophon (f. 7r).
- Written in 8 lines per leaf.
- 10 leaves foliated 1-10, upper left and lower right verso.
- Internal colophon: iti vedāṃgaśikṣāsamāptaḥ // (f. 7r).
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; borders on cover marked with double red line; vertical margins marked with double black line. Manuscript is treated with yellow turmeric powder and metallic powder to protect it from insect damage.
Extent1 11 x 23 cm
- Sanskrit language--Grammar
- Hindu astrology
- Hindu astronomy
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century