Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2188 Tulasīkavaca / तुलसीकवच
TitleTulasīkavaca / तुलसीकवच
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2188
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958213713503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript for private prayer, recitation, and meditation focused on honoring the Tulsi (tulasī) plant sacred especially to followers of the Hindu deity Viṣṇu and known for its medicinal properties (ocimum sanctum). The text comprises mantras that are to be symbolically placed on different parts of the devotee's body as armor, offering protection from various problems and giving benefit, functioning as a kind of amulet. Manuscript ends with the beginning of the second verse of praise from the Tulasīstotra and is incomplete.
- Colophon (internal): iti śrīskaṃdapurāṇe tulasīkavacaṃ saṃpūrṇaṃ // (f. 3v)
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Written in 9 lines per leaf.
- 3 leaves foliated 1-3, upper left and lower right verso.
- Vertical margins marked with double red line.
- European paper with watermarks featuring an emblem with a crown and a figure.
Extent1 item (3 leaves) : 11 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon (internal): iti śrīskaṃdapurāṇe tulasīkavacaṃ saṃpūrṇaṃ // (f. 3v)
- Ocimum sanctum
- Plants--India--Religious aspects
- Amulets (Hinduism)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2188: Tulasīkavaca are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.