Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Gaṅgālaharī
- Jagannātha Paṇḍitarāja
Call numberMs. Coll. 390
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 7209973
- http://hdl.library.upenn.edu/1017/d/medren/7209973 Information about this record
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Manuscript used for private or public recitation, prayer and worship (pūjā) in praise of the Hindu goddess Gaṅgā known also as the river Ganges, sacred to the Hindu religion.
- Title from end title page (f. 12v).
- Written in 7-8 lines per leaf.
- 12 leaves foliated 1-12, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated incoherently. The number 1783 is written (f. 12r) without either saṃvat or śaka. Saṃvat would render the date 1726 A.D. whereas śaka would render it 1861. The date of 1726 A.D. would be most likely for this manuscript; however, there is also a reference to the month Śrīmukha Saṃvatsara year, which could correspond to 1753, 1813, or 1873 A.D., none of which corresponds to the hypothetical saṃvat or śaka date.
- Mistakes covered over in white or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double black line.
Extent1 9 x 18 cm
- Gaṅgā (Hindu deity)
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Hindu hymns, Sanskrit
- Rivers--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Prayers (documents)
- Hymns (documents)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century