Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2232 Kaupīnapañcaka / कौपीनपञ्चक
TitleKaupīnapañcaka / कौपीनपञ्चक
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2232
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9972100293503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Collection of short texts. The first (f. 1r) celebrates the blessings associated with being a renunciant ascetic (sāṃnyāsin), such as being blessed for wearing a loin cloth (kaupīna); this work extoles the virtues of the Vedānta philosophy of Śaṅkarācārya, to whom the work is attributed; the second text (f. 1r-1v) contains four verses presented in the voice of the god Nārāyaṇa (a form of Viṣṇu). The third work is unidentified, but contains over three verses, and appears to be a devotional work dedicated to Bhagavan. The manuscript is incomplete.
- Title from internal colophon (f. 1r); title of second work Cathuḥślokībhāgavata from internal colophon (f. 1v).
- Written in 11 lines per leaf.
- 1 leaf.
- Internal colophon: iti śrīśaṃkarācāryaviracitaṃ kaupīnapaṃcakaṃ saṃpūrṇaṃ // (f. 1r).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; vertical margins marked with double red line.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 10 x 21 cm
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Nārāyaṇa (Hindu deity)
- Hindu philosophy
- Philosophy, Indic
- Hymns (documents)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2232: Kaupīnapañcaka are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.