Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2244 Ādityahṛdaya / आदित्यहृदय
TitleĀdityahṛdaya / आदित्यहृदय
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2244
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9954028063503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Prayer to the Sun god (Āditya) invoked by the sage Agastya on the battle field for the purpose of resuscitating king Rāma prior to his battle with and eventual victory over the demon Rāvaṇa; this chapter circulated primarily in South India and was not included in the critical edition of that work (Goldman and Sutherland 1984-1996); manuscript identifies itself with 108th chapter (ṣaṣṭottaraśata adhyāya) of the Yuddhakaṇḍa from the epic poem the Rāmāyaṇa in the colophon (f. 5r).
- Title from fourth verse of text (f. 1v); alternate title Ṣaṣṭottaraśata adhyāya from back title page (f. 6v).
- Written in 11 lines per leaf.
- 6 leaves foliated 1-5, [i], upper left and lower right recto.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; text only written on recto of each leaf except final title (f. 6v).
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (6 leaves) : 13 x 18 cm
ColophonColophon: ity ārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe vālmīkīye ādikāvye yuddhakāṃḍe ṣaṣṭottaraśatatamaḥ sargaḥ śrīsītārāmacaṃdrārpaṇamastu śrīrastu // (f. 5r).
- Epic literature, Sanskrit
- Āditya (Hindu deity)
- Rāma (Hindu deity)
- Rāvaṇa (Hindu mythology)
- Hinduism--Prayers and devotions
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2244: Ādityahṛdaya are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.