Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2316 Sūtasaṃhitā / सूतसंहिता
TitleSūtasaṃhitā / सूतसंहिता
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2316
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958066003503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript used for consultation on a number of topics that include rituals, rites, modes of worship, mythology, and other elements, primarily centered on the Hindu deity Śiva. May have been compiled by the Pāśupata sect of Śaivism and composed around the 6th century A.D. Reference to the figure Bhairava, a horrific form of Śiva, along with references to the Bhairavas (underlings of Śiva). Mention of the Pāśupatas is made and their rite of smearing ash on their bodies and wearing rudrakṣa beads, sacred to Śiva. Text is divided into four saṃhitās (sections) and contains a version of the Brahmagītā in the final section (Yajñavaibhavakhaṇḍa).
- Title from colophon (f. 208r).
- Written in 11-12 lines per leaf.
- 209 leaves foliated [i], 1-208, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red or black line.
- Manuscript encased by two dark brown wooden boards; the bottom board is split, but held together with metal pieces nailed into wood.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (209 leaves) : 11 x 29 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīskaṃdapurāṇe sūtasaṃhitāyāṃ yajñavaibhavakhaṃḍasyoparibhāge sūtagItāyaāṃ aṣṭamodhyāyaḥ // śrīsāṃbāyanamaḥ // śrīgurubhyonamaḥ // śrīśivāya namaḥ // (f. 208r).
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Hindu mythology
- Bhairava (Hindu deity)
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2316: Sūtasaṃhitā are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover-[i recto
2581_0001.tif (117.0 MB)
2581_0001_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
2581_0001_web.jpg (341.1 KB)
fol. 208v-Inside back cover
2581_0209.tif (117.0 MB)
2581_0209_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
2581_0209_web.jpg (363.1 KB)