Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2328 Mallārisahasranāma / मल्लारिसहस्रनाम
TitleMallārisahasranāma / मल्लारिसहस्रनाम
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2328
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957504383503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Text praising the Hindu deity Śiva, who goes by the name Mallāri (enemy of the demon Malla), and especially his form as Mārtaṇḍa Bhairava, to be used in public and private recitation and prayer. Said to represent the 1000 names (sahasranāma) of Mallāri, the text contains about 100 different names, and reciting them is said to produce children, remove sins, and deliver liberation from the cycle of life and death (mokṣa). Presented as a conversation between the deities Śiva and Pārvatī.
- Title from end title page (f. 12v).
- Written in 12-20 lines per leaf.
- 12 leaves foliated 1-12, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins. Decorated with translucent gold or copper squares throughout most of the manuscript.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (12 leaves) : 10 x 16 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīpadmapurāṇe śivopāravyāne śivāpārva[t]īsaṃvāde śivaproktaṃ mallārisahasranāmaproktaṃ saṃpūrṇaṃ // śrīmallārimārtaṃḍārpaṇam astu // śubhaṃ bhavatu // cha // cha // (f. 12r).
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Bhairava (Hindu deity)
- Worship (Hinduism)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2328: Mallārisahasranāma are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.