Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2394 Ekādaśīmahātmya / एकादशीमहात्म्य
TitleEkādaśīmahātmya / एकादशीमहात्म्य
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2394
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9954172563503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Discusses the significance of observing fasting rites, visiting pilgrimage sites (yātra), etc. on specific days, especially the Ekādaśī or the 11th day of a 15-day lunar cycle during specific constellations (e.g., Kārtika, Mārgaśīṣa, etc.); drawn from various Purāṇas and presented as a discussion between different mythological figures featured in the Mahābhārata, such as the legendary king Yudhiṣṭhira and the Hindu deity Kṛṣṇa, or Arjuna and Kṛṣṇa; manuscript is incomplete and front cover has noted 66 folios (patra), thus more than half of manuscript is missing.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Written in 9-10 lines per leaf.
- 32 leaves foliated 1-32, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (32 leaves) : 11 x 25 cm
- Fasting--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Hindu pilgrims and pilgrimages--India
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu astrology
- Yudhiṣṭhira (Hindu mythology)
- Arjuna (Hindu mythology)
- Krishna (Hindu deity)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2394: Ekādaśīmahātmya are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- fol. 1r — Floral border, f. 1r
2590_0000.tif (48.7 MB)
2590_0000_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
2590_0000_web.jpg (262.6 KB)
Decoration: Floral border, f. 1r