Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2411 Śivakavaca / शिवकवच
TitleŚivakavaca / शिवकवच
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2411
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958225163503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript for private use, meditation, and ritual forming a protective, symbolic armor for the benefit of a Hindu devotee and for humankind in general, especially for followers of the deity Śiva. The protective armor is laid symbolically on various parts of the body and functions as a kind of amulet keeping away maladies and other ills and brings prosperity. Text is attributed to the legendary sage Ṛṣabha, the narrator.
- Title from title page (f. 1r); alternate title Śivavarmakathana from colophon (f. 11r).
- Written in 6 lines per leaf.
- 11 leaves foliated 1-11, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
Extent1 item (11 leaves) : 11 x 22 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīskaṃdapurāṇe brahmottarakhaṃḍe śivavarmakathanaṃ nāmadvādaśodhyāyaḥ śrīviśverārpaṇam astu (f. 11r).
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Amulets (Hinduism)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2411: Śivakavaca are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.