Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2756 Pauṣakṛṣṇaikādaśī / पौषशुक्लैकादशी
TitlePauṣakṛṣṇaikādaśī / पौषशुक्लैकादशी
Other related names
- Kāśīnātha Dhādekara, scribe
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2756
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957581653503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Text praising the dark half (kṛṣṇapakṣa) of the month of the full moon, Pauṣa (December-January), along with the positive results derived from the rites and ceremonies (vrata) performed during that period, especially the giving of sons (putradā). Some of the text is taken up with a discussion of Pauṣaśuklaikādaśī (bright half of the month of Pauṣa) and the colophon refers to the text by this title. Presented as a conversation between the legendary king Yudhiṣṭhira and the Hindu deity Kṛṣṇa who instructs the former on how to perform certain observances, such proper bathing rites.
- Title from title page (f. 1r); alternate title Pauṣaśuklaikādaśīputradānāmamāhātmya from colophon (f. 4r). Title on title page (f. 1r) appears to be in a different scribal hand, possibly as a corrective to the alternate title in the colophon, which does not adequately describe the contents of the manuscript.
- Written in 9-11 lines per leaf.
- 4 leaves foliated 1-4, upper left and lower right verso.
- Scribe is Kāśīnātha Dhādekara (f. 4r).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double black line.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (4 leaves) : 11 x 28 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrībramāṃḍapurāṇe pauṣaśukla ekādaśīputradānāmamāhātmyaṃ // saṃ // pu // rṇaṃ // kā[ś]Ināthadhādekaralikhitaṃ svārthayarārthaṃ pauṣaśukla ekādaśīsāṃpurṇa[ṃ] // (f. 4r).
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Yudhiṣṭhira (Hindu mythology)
- Krishna (Hindu deity)
- Hindu astrology
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Bathing customs--India
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2756: Pauṣakṛṣṇaikādaśī are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.