Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 417 Vakratuṇḍamahāmantra / वक्रतुण्डमहामन्त्र
TitleVakratuṇḍamahāmantra / वक्रतुण्डमहामन्त्र
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 417
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957944003503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Text used in public and private meditation and prayer dedicated to the worship (pūjā) and veneration of the Hindu deity, the elephant-headed Gaṇeśa (named Vakratuṇḍa or the one with the curved trunk). Contains primarily a series of mantras related to this deity. The names Gaṇeśa and Śiva are written as abbreviations of a larger title of an unknown Purāṇic work, possibly the Gaṇeśapurāṇa. Lacks end and incorrectly titled "Aghoramantra" by Poleman using the explicit (f. 2v).
- Title from incipit (f. 1r).
- Written in 7 lines per leaf.
- 2 leaves foliated 1-2, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out.
- Formerly housed with Item 413, Item 414, Item 415, and Item 416.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (2 leaves) : 10 x 18 cm
- Gaṇeśa (Hindu deity)
- Hindu mantras
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 417: Vakratuṇḍamahāmantra are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.