Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 811 Aṣṭāvakra / अष्टावक्र
TitleAṣṭāvakra / अष्टावक्र
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 811
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9962255733503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is used for contemplation and study and is a philosophical work expounding on Vedānta (end of the Vedas), possibly by a follower of Śaṅkarācārya, the proponent of Advaita Vedanta school of philosophy. The work is presented as a conversation between figures from well known Hindu epic mythology and in particular, aligns itself with its own vision of the teachings of the Bhagavadgītā. The main text of the manuscript has a commentary running parallel, above and below, the main text and is attributed to Viśveśvara (f. 95r).
- Title from colophon (f. 95r); title of commentary, Aṣṭāvakraṭīkā, from commentary colophon (f. 95r); alternate title for commentary, Ātmānubhavaprakaraṇa, supplied by cataloger.
- Written in 4-8 lines per leaf.
- 95 leaves foliated 1-95, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
Extent1 item (95 leaves) : 11 x 26 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīmadaṣṭāvakraviraciāyāṃsaṃkhyākramādikaṃ vyākhyānaṃ ekaviṃśātikaprakaṇaṃ samāptaṃ (f. 95r).
- Philosophy, Indic
- Hindu philosophy
- Hindu mythology
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 811: Aṣṭāvakra are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.