Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 959 Ṛgvedasvaśākhopaniṣad / ऋग्वेदस्वशाखोपनिषद्
TitleṚgvedasvaśākhopaniṣad / ऋग्वेदस्वशाखोपनिषद्
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 959
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9962595513503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is used for contemplation, study, and recitation, and is a late Vedic work, thought to be derived from the Mānavagṛhyasūtra (188.8.131.52), a work on domestic rites attributed to the ancient author Manava, but presented as a upaniṣad, dealing with initiate groups (svaśākha) associated with the Ṛgveda and rites of initiation/ordination.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Written in 10-11 lines per leaf.
- 5 leaves foliated 1-5, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; metrical accents added with red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
Extent1 item (4 leaves) : 11 x 17 cm
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Initiation rites--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 959: Ṛgvedasvaśākhopaniṣad are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.