Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Coll. 591 Folder 33 Manuscript leaves from Defecerunt scrutantes scrutinio
TitleManuscript leaves from Defecerunt scrutantes scrutinio
- Antoninus, Saint, Archbishop of Florence, 1389-1459
Call numberMs. Coll. 591 Folder 33
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9947991763503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Five leaves from a manual on confession. The first (p. 51-52) is from a section considering various sins and includes paragraphs on immodesty, contention, and discord. The other 4 leaves (p. [65-66], 67-68, 73-76) are probably 2 bifolia with each leaf now separate, and with the center bifolia of their gathering (p. 69-72) missing. They contain instructions for questioning different categories of individuals, including married men, secular princes and nobles, judges, and lawyers. Written in Italy, in 29 long lines of Gothic script, ruled in faint ink with vertical bounding lines. Decorated with 2-line initials in blue or red with contrasting penwork; paragraph marks alternating in blue and red; rubrication in and initials slashed with red. Pagination (trimmed away on p. 65-66) from before the leaves were removed from their codex, in ink, upper outer corners.
Extent1 item (5 leaves) : 145-151 x 110 (107 x 69) mm
- Sold by King Alfred's Notebook (Cayce, S.C.), cat. 2 (2010), nos. 31-35.
- Catholic Church--Discipline
- Confession--Early works to 1800
- Confession--Catholic Church--Handbooks, manuals, etc.--Early works to 1800
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Ms. Coll. 591 Folder 33: Manuscript leaves from Defecerunt scrutantes scrutinio are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.