Collection ID: 0016 | Metadata type: TEI
Penn Museum 84-24-1 Suwannasiam
Call numberPenn Museum 84-24-1
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library Web)
- bibid: 6313859
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageIn Northern Thai with some Pali and Thai
Narrative text, possibly multiple stories, including a bodhisattva, a brahman, a woman (named Pumala?), and animals. A colophon in Thai language and Central Thai script asks readers not to chasten or admonish the writer.
- Title supplied by Justin McDaniel (viewed on September 29, 2015)
- Written in 5 lines per segment.
- Foliated in verso left margin, with letters beginning with A but not in order: A, AA, gong, gan, gu.
- Written by a single hand, by a scribe probably Chinese or from Yuan, as the text contains a number of foreign or unusual words; scribe possibly named Nemirang, Nemilang, or Nemiranna (Justin McDaniel).
- Leaves of palm leaf with two central holes approximately 18 cm apart and a cord through the left hole; gilt edges with lacquer in the center of the top and bottom edges.
- Possibly written between 1750 and 1850 (Justin McDaniel).
- Dimensions of original manuscript: 4.8 x 55 cm.
- Reproduced from the original with permission of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) license.
Extent1 online resource (14 folios) :
- Gift of Elizabeth Lyons, Keeper of the Asian Collections, University Museum, 1984.
- Buddhist stories, Thai
- Manuscripts, Thai--18th century
- Manuscripts, Thai--19th century
- Manuscripts--Thailand--18th century
- Manuscripts--Thailand--19th century
Table of contents
2376_0000.tif (64.0 MB)
2376_0000_thumb.jpg (1.6 KB)
2376_0000_web.jpg (53.4 KB)
Section: Title page, f. 1r
2376_0012.tif (64.5 MB)
2376_0012_thumb.jpg (2.3 KB)
2376_0012_web.jpg (94.2 KB)
Section: Colophon, in Central Thai, f. 13r
2376_0013.tif (64.0 MB)
2376_0013_thumb.jpg (2.1 KB)
2376_0013_web.jpg (64.0 KB)
Section: Duplicate title page, f. 14r