Collection ID: 0016 | Metadata type: TEI
Penn Museum 89-13-327 Illuminated fragment of Phra Malai
TitleIlluminated fragment of Phra Malai
Call numberPenn Museum 89-13-327
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library Web)
- bibid: 6279817
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Illumination cut from a folio of a Thai manuscript, showing the demon Punnaka and Vidhura on Punnaka's horse. Details and background color damaged by abrasion. Text from Phra Malai on verso, stained, abraded, and difficult to read.
- Title supplied by cataloger (viewed on September 17, 2015)
- Written in 5 lines per segment.
- Written and painted on khoi paper; manuscript originally folded concertina- or accordion-style, but this fragment of one folio is stored flat.
- Written and painted in central Thailand in the very late 19th or early 20th century (Justin McDaniel).
- From same manuscript as Penn Museum 89-13-328.
- Dimensions of original manuscript: 26 x 21.7 cm.
- Reproduced from the original with permission of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) license.
Extent1 online resource (1 folio) :
- Gift of the Estate of Elizabeth Lyons, Keeper of the Asian Collections, University Museum, 1989.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, Thai--Specimens
- Jataka stories, Thai--Pictorial works
- Fragments (object portions)
- Folded books
- Illuminations (visual works)
- Manuscripts, Thai--19th century
- Manuscripts, Thai--20th century
- Manuscripts--Thailand--19th century
- Manuscripts--Thailand--20th century
- Side 1 — Vidhurapandita Jataka, Side 1
2378_0001.tif (52.7 MB)
2378_0001_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
2378_0001_web.jpg (435.6 KB)
Decoration: Vidhurapandita Jataka, Side 1