Collection ID: 0016 | Metadata type: TEI
Penn Museum 89-13-414 Illuminated fragment of Phra Malai
TitleIlluminated fragment of Phra Malai
Call numberPenn Museum 89-13-414
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library Web)
- bibid: 6272994
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Illumination cut from a folio of a Thai manuscript showing Indra listening to a sermon by Phra Malai. Phra Malai's face has been rubbed away. On the verso is text from the Phra Malai.
- Title supplied by Justin McDaniel (viewed on September 30, 2015)
- Written in 5 lines per segment.
- Written on khoi paper; manuscript originally folded concertina- or accordion-style, but this fragment of one folio is stored flat.
- Written and painted in central Siam in the late 19th century (Justin McDaniel).
- Dimensions of original manuscript: 28.2 x 19.7 cm.
- Reproduced from the original with permission of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) license.
Extent1 online resource (1 folio) :
- Gift of the Estate of Elizabeth Lyons, Keeper of the Asian Collections, University Museum, 1989.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts--Specimens
- Buddhist monks--Pictorial works
- Indra (Hindu deity)--Pictorial works
- Fragments (object portions)
- Folded books
- Illuminations (visual works)
- Manuscripts, Thai--19th century
- Manuscripts--Thailand--19th century