Collection ID: 0016 | Metadata type: TEI
Penn Museum 89-13-415 Illumination from Thai manuscript
TitleIllumination from Thai manuscript
Call numberPenn Museum 89-13-415
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library Web)
- bibid: 6273013
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageIn modern Thai (text on verso)
Illumination cut from a folio of a Thai manuscript, showing two women, possibly nuns, kneeling in a devotional pose before a yellow background. On the verso is a modern copy of text from the Phra Malai. A small piece of the manuscript with yellow on one side and text on the other is pasted in the center of the right edge to reinforce the hinge. The upper right corner is slightly damaged.
- Title supplied by cataloger (viewed on September 17, 2015)
- Written in 6 lines per segment.
- Written on khoi paper; manuscript originally folded concertina- or accordion-style, but this fragment of one folio is stored flat.
- Written and painted in central Siam in the late 19th century (Justin McDaniel).
- Dimensions of original manuscript: 28.3 x 17.5 cm.
- Reproduced from the original with permission of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) license.
Extent1 online resource (1 folio) :
- Gift of the Estate of Elizabeth Lyons, Keeper of the Asian Collections, University Museum, 1989.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, Thai--Specimens
- Folded books
- Fragments (object portions)
- Illuminations (visual works)
- Manuscripts, Thai--19th century
- Manuscripts--Thailand--19th century