Collection ID: 0016 | Metadata type: TEI
Penn Museum 89-13-416 Asubbhakammaţţhana illumination?
Call numberPenn Museum 89-13-416
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library Web)
- bibid: 6273114
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Illumination cut from a folio of a Thai manuscript, showing a monk removing pamsakulla cloth from a corpse, probably a scene of corpse observation and meditation. Another small illumination of a monster and text in unidentified script on verso.
- Title supplied by cataloger (from Justin McDaniel; viewed on September 17, 2015)
- Written in 5 lines per segment.
- Written on khoi paper; from manuscript originally folded concertina- or accordion-style, but this fragment of one folio is stored flat.
- Painted in the early 19th century (Justin McDaniel).
- Dimensions of original manuscript: 22.5 x 19.4 cm.
- Reproduced from the original with permission of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) license.
Extent1 online resource (1 folio) :
- Gift of the Estate of Elizabeth Lyons, Keeper of the Asian Collections, University Museum, 1989.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, Thai--Specimens
- Buddhist monks--Pictorial works
- Death--Religious aspects--Buddhism
- Folded books
- Fragments (object portions)
- Illuminations (visual works)
- Manuscripts, Thai--19th century
- Manuscripts--Thailand--19th century