Collection ID: 0016 | Metadata type: TEI
Penn Museum 95-21-34 A-Z Phra Mahāparinibbāna
Call numberPenn Museum 95-21-34 A-Z
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library Web)
- bibid: 6274083
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
An abbreviated version of the Mahāparinibbānasutta, which describes the end of Gautama Buddha's life. Possibly produced for the funeral of someone of high rank.
- Title supplied by Justin McDaniel (viewed on November 13, 2015)
- Written in 5 lines.
- Typed on palm leaves.
- Leaves 2-22 foliated 1-21 at left margin with title (perpendicular to text) and Thai numerals.
- First leaf has title, two images, and blank verso; last leaf is blank; two holes in each leaf but no threads. The leaves are held together by two strips of palm leaf tied around them which may be slid off. Wrap for the tourist market is red velvet with wire decorations including the Thai phrase sawat di (hello) and lotus flowers.
- Published in Bangkok in 2480 BE (1937).
- Dimensions of original manuscript: 5 x 26.8 cm.
- Reproduced from the original with permission of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) license.
Extent1 online resource (23 leaves) :
- Gift of Katharine and Mary Anglemyer, 1995.
- Manuscripts, Thai--20th century
- Manuscripts--Thailand--20th century
Table of contents
2387_0000.tif (64.5 MB)
2387_0000_thumb.jpg (1.9 KB)
2387_0000_web.jpg (73.7 KB)
Section: Title page, f.1r
2387_0024.tif (58.6 MB)
2387_0024_thumb.jpg (1.6 KB)
2387_0024_web.jpg (61.9 KB)
Section: Manuscript, upper edge
Cover, closed, Side 1
2387_0025.tif (64.5 MB)
2387_0025_thumb.jpg (1.8 KB)
2387_0025_web.jpg (71.0 KB)
Section: Cover, closed, tie side
Cover, closed, Side 2
2387_0026.tif (64.5 MB)
2387_0026_thumb.jpg (1.9 KB)
2387_0026_web.jpg (77.4 KB)
Section: Cover, closed, back
Cover, open, Side 1
2387_0027.tif (138.7 MB)
2387_0027_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
2387_0027_web.jpg (190.6 KB)
Section: Cover, open, outside