Collection ID: 0021 | Metadata type: TEI
Gaster Hebrew MS 118 Remedies and prescriptions
TitleRemedies and prescriptions
Other related names
- Gaster, Moses 1856-1939, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/12428346)
Call numberGaster Hebrew MS 118
(Manchester, United Kingdom, University of Manchester, University of Manchester Library, Hebrew Manuscripts)
- Former: Gaster 118
PublisherUniversity of Manchester Library
LanguageYiddish; Hebrew; German
Medical and magico-medical remedies and prescriptions up to folio 55a. Between folios 1a and 53a there are approximately 440 texts, numbered in Hebrew 68-508 (סח-תקח) by another hand. Quite a few remedies written either solely or mostly in German with Latin characters, possibly some Latin phrases such as for materia medica. Folio 51a contains rules for the handling of the Sefer Torah. Folios 55b-56a contain a documentary text in Yiddish, which appears to be a list.
- Some text in Latin characters on folios 14a, 14b, 17b, 18b-21a, 24a, 26b, 27b, 29b, 31b, 35a-36a, 37a-38Aa, 45a, 50a-b, 51b, 52b, mostly in German. Sporadic Tiberian vocalisation; occasional use of rafe. Mostly Yiddish and German remedies with the occasional Hebrew word or phrase, most obviously קח ("take!") at the beginning of some prescriptions. Paper has laid lines parallel to spine, and single chain lines 22.5 mm apart horizontally.
WatermarkPerson blowing post horn riding on horse, on folios 25-27. Two columns on folio 33; Two trees growing together at top to form an inverted U shape on folios 33-34, 38A, 41, 45-47, 49-50, 54.
ExtentI+58+i; 189 x 161 mm bound to 228 x 170 mm
FoliationModern pencil foliation in Arabic numerals at the top outer corner of side a of each folio (1a-56a). Folio 26 lacks foliation. Folio 40 is numbered 38A. Hebrew foliation at the top outer corner of side a of each folio: 70-89 (פ-צט) on folios 1-18; missing 72 (פב). On folios 19-29 alphabetical foliation: b-f (19a-23a), missing on folio 24a, g-I (25a-26a), missing on folio 27a, l-ll (28a-29a). Somewhat inconsistent Hebrew numbering of paragraphs. Missing: two folios between 1 and 2 (cf. the Hebrew foliation and paragraphs). Blank pages: 38Ab, 41b-42a, 52a.
BindingModern black leather binding. Handwritten label on spine reading in Hebrew טייטש / עיברי / רפואות / 118
- Acquired by The John Rylands Library from the heirs of Moses Gaster, 1954.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, European
- 17th century
- Science -- Medicine
- These images and the content of University of Manchester Library, Gaster Hebrew MS 118: Remedies and prescriptions are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
Inside front cover
5555_0001.tif (96.6 MB)
5555_0001_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
5555_0001_web.jpg (275.4 KB)
5555_0004.tif (91.4 MB)
5555_0004_thumb.jpg (6.7 KB)
5555_0004_web.jpg (438.1 KB)
Section: Gaster Hebrew MS 118/1, [ff. 1a - 55a] Medical and magico-medical remedies and prescriptions
5555_0109.tif (95.1 MB)
5555_0109_thumb.jpg (7.6 KB)
5555_0109_web.jpg (400.3 KB)
Section: Gaster Hebrew MS 118/2, [51b]Eight rules regarding the handling of the Sefer Torah in the synagogue
5555_0117.tif (95.4 MB)
5555_0117_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
5555_0117_web.jpg (360.9 KB)
Section: Gaster Hebrew MS 118/3, [ff. 55b -56a] Documentary text