Collection ID: 0021 | Metadata type: TEI
Hebrew MS 24 Amidat musaf le-Rosh ha-Shanah, or Amidah prayer for the additional service of New Year
TitleAmidat musaf le-Rosh ha-Shanah, or Amidah prayer for the additional service of New Year
Other related names
- Black, W.H., former owner
- Crawford, James Ludovic Lindsay, Earl of, 1847-1913, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/9985420)
Call numberHebrew MS 24
(Manchester, United Kingdom, University of Manchester, University of Manchester Library, Hebrew Manuscripts)
PublisherUniversity of Manchester Library
Province of Henan, China.
Entitled Qorban Musaf [קורבן מוסף], this Amidah prayer for the additional service (musaf) of New Year (Rosh ha-Shanah) originates from the Jewish community of Kaifeng in Henan, China. The manuscript has distinctive features such as the use of paper formed by multiple layers resembling rice paper and the square format and "Chinese" features of the script. A note on the front cover states that the manuscript is one of those which the Kaifeng Jews brought to Shanghai in 1851. This occurred following attempts by Christian missionaries to make contact with their community.
- Folio 13a: handwritten note in pencil reading "Ps. cxxii". Manuscript paper is possibly muslberry based, made up of five layers per bifolio.
Extent16 ff.; 301 x 302 mm
FoliationModern pencil foliation in Arabic numerals at the top outer corner of side a of each folio. Hebrew foliation at the top inner corner of side b of each folio from 1 [א] to 8 [ח].
CollationOne quire of 8 bifolios.
CatchwordsDiagonal catchword at the bottom inner corner of side b of each folio.
ColophonTiberian vocalisation. Some marginal signs appear in the manuscript in the margins, indicating specific sections of the text (see folios 2b, 4b, 11b).
- Acquired by Enriqueta Rylands in 1901 from James Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford of Haigh Hall, and later bequeathed to the John Rylands Library.
- Judaism--Liturgy Texts
- 18th century
- 19th century
- These images and the content of University of Manchester Library, Hebrew MS 24: Amidat musaf le-Rosh ha-Shanah, or Amidah prayer for the additional service of New Year are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
- Front cover — Handwritten note reading: "קרבן מוס / This Liturgical MS. of the Honan Jews / delivered by them to the Reverend Solomon / Carpenter, at Shanghai, in 1851, was / by him deposited among the Hebrew MSS. / at Mill Yard, 15 Third 1859. Signed: W.H. Black.
- Inside back cover — Bookplate of the Bibliotheca Lindesiana
5079_0000.tif (97.1 MB)
5079_0000_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
5079_0000_web.jpg (509.7 KB)
Section: Handwritten note reading: "קרבן מוס / This Liturgical MS. of the Honan Jews / delivered by them to the Reverend Solomon / Carpenter, at Shanghai, in 1851, was / by him deposited among the Hebrew MSS. / at Mill Yard, 15 Third 1859. Signed: W.H. Black.
Inside front cover
5079_0001.tif (101.7 MB)
5079_0001_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
5079_0001_web.jpg (483.0 KB)
Inside back cover
5079_0034.tif (99.4 MB)
5079_0034_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
5079_0034_web.jpg (465.3 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate of the Bibliotheca Lindesiana