Collection ID: 0021 | Metadata type: TEI
Hebrew MS 32 Ets Hayyim
Other related names
- Black, W.H., former owner
- Ettingen, Nathan, Chief Rabbi of Hamborough, former owner
- Crawford, James Ludovic Lindsay, Earl of, 1847-1913, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/9985420)
Call numberHebrew MS 32
(Manchester, United Kingdom, University of Manchester, University of Manchester Library, Hebrew Manuscripts)
PublisherUniversity of Manchester Library
Large manuscript on thick paper containing the first thirty-six gates (שערים) of Hayyim Vital's Tree of Life, an extensive Kabbalistic work in the Lurianic tradition. The work is preceded by several prefaces by the author himself and by Meir ben Judah Leib Poppers. The main text is accompanied by glosses from several scholars, among whom Jacob ben Hayyim Zemah. The manuscript, which records several recensions of Vital's magnum opus, is incomplete, and only runs up to the first part of gate 36. A second hand completes chapter 2 of that gate on folio 202a and adds the beginning of chapter 3. Variant recensions (see e.g. folio 8b מהדורא תנינא, folio 48b מהדורא קמא) are recorded in the text. Various glosses (הגהות) by several later scholars are inserted into Ets Hayyim in smaller letters in clear text blocks separated from the main text, e.g. by Jacob ben Hayyim Zemah. The Aleph catalogue of the National Library of Israel also suggests the text contains some glosses by Nathan ben Reuben David Spira and others.
- Marginal notes in pencil on folios 185a, 192a, and 202a.
WatermarkWatermarks on last 15 blank folios from the paper maker Jean Villedary (1668-1758): crown shield with lily and L.V.G. and IVILLEDARY.
Extent202 ff. (202+xv); 375 x 242 mm
FoliationModern pencil foliation in Arabic numerals at the top outer corner of side a of each folio, starting from fly-leaf. Second set of foliation in Arabic numerals at the bottom outer corner of side a of folios 2-11 (from 1 to 10).Occasional numbering in Arabic numerals of she'arim is found in the outer margin.
BindingQuarter binding with brown leather on spine and marbled paper on boards. Sewn on four raised cords.
Folio 10b: concentric circles sketch; folio 28b: twice the word אב written in a decorative way with ink stripes; folio 48a: tetragrammaton; folio 58a: schematic representation of the ten sefirot, also known as the Tree of Life ("Ets Haim").
- Acquired by Enriqueta Rylands in 1901 from James Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford of Haigh Hall, and later bequeathed to the John Rylands Library.
- 17th century
- These images and the content of University of Manchester Library, Hebrew MS 32: Ets Hayyim are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
- 2a — Several prefaces by Hayyim Vital, followed by a preface by Meir ben Judah Leib Cohen Poppers [ff.2a-5b].
- 6a — Ets Hayyim, or Tree of Life, by Hayyim Vital [ff.6a-201b].
- 202a — Sha'ar 36, Perek 3 (incomplete) added by a later hand. According to W. H. Black [former owner] this was in the hand of Rabbi Nathan Ettingen.
- 10b — Concentric circles sketch with the words אדם קדמון, א"מ, יושר אדם קדמון עיגולי in reference to primordial man ("Adam Qadmon").
- 28b — Twice the word אב written in a decorative way with ink stripes.
- 48a — Tetragrammaton written in a decorative way, with small ink circles and stripes.
- 58a — Schematic representation of the ten sefirot, also known as the Tree of Life ("Ets Haim").
- Inside back cover — Bookplate of the Bibliotheca Lindesiana.
Inside front cover
5452_0001.tif (80.6 MB)
5452_0001_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
5452_0001_web.jpg (244.1 KB)
5452_0004.tif (80.6 MB)
5452_0004_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
5452_0004_web.jpg (447.1 KB)
Section: Several prefaces by Hayyim Vital, followed by a preface by Meir ben Judah Leib Cohen Poppers [ff.2a-5b].
5452_0012.tif (80.6 MB)
5452_0012_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
5452_0012_web.jpg (262.2 KB)
Section: Ets Hayyim, or Tree of Life, by Hayyim Vital [ff.6a-201b].
5452_0021.tif (80.6 MB)
5452_0021_thumb.jpg (6.8 KB)
5452_0021_web.jpg (368.1 KB)
Decoration: Concentric circles sketch with the words אדם קדמון, א"מ, יושר אדם קדמון עיגולי in reference to primordial man ("Adam Qadmon").
5452_0057.tif (80.6 MB)
5452_0057_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
5452_0057_web.jpg (350.2 KB)
Decoration: Twice the word אב written in a decorative way with ink stripes.
5452_0096.tif (80.6 MB)
5452_0096_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
5452_0096_web.jpg (292.8 KB)
Decoration: Tetragrammaton written in a decorative way, with small ink circles and stripes.
5452_0116.tif (80.6 MB)
5452_0116_thumb.jpg (6.8 KB)
5452_0116_web.jpg (345.3 KB)
Decoration: Schematic representation of the ten sefirot, also known as the Tree of Life ("Ets Haim").
5452_0404.tif (80.6 MB)
5452_0404_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
5452_0404_web.jpg (231.9 KB)
Section: Sha'ar 36, Perek 3 (incomplete) added by a later hand. According to W. H. Black [former owner] this was in the hand of Rabbi Nathan Ettingen.
Inside back cover
5452_0438.tif (80.6 MB)
5452_0438_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
5452_0438_web.jpg (136.9 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate of the Bibliotheca Lindesiana.