Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E 20 De quattuor virtutibus caritatis (On the four virtues of charity)
TitleDe quattuor virtutibus caritatis (On the four virtues of charity)
- Quodvultdeus, Bishop of Carthage, -454? (https://viaf.org/viaf/250796368) Quodvultdeus, Bishop of Carthage, -454?
Other related names
- Lewis, John Frederick, 1860-1932, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/63874811/)
- Lewis, Anne Baker, former owner
- White, Henry, former owner
- LeMare, former owner
- Cockerell, Sidney C., former owner
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E 20
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
- deRicci: 112
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
This manuscript is an eleventh-century copy of "De quattuor virtutibus karitatis" or "On the Four Virtues of Charity." This text and the other texts contained in the manuscript circulated in the Middle Ages under the name of Saint Augustine, but they have since been attributed to the fifth-century theologian Quodvultdeus of Carthage, who was a follower of Saint Augustine. The back Flyleaf 1 (fol. 48) is a fragment from a twelfth-missal with readings for the Eighth Sunday after Pentecost. The leaf was removed from its original book and reused by a later binder. The readings reflect an older liturgy that fell out of use in the later Middle Ages, rendering the missal useless and a good source for recycled parchment.
- Folios 1 and folios 48 are medieval parchment and are numbered, but both are technically flyleaves; additional flyleaves are modern paper
ExtentIv+46+iv; 305 x 213 mm bound to 317 x 227 mm
FoliationModern foliation in pencil, upper right recto
BindingRed morocco, spine and covers decorated with vertical rows of brown stamped rolls decorated with portrait busts and rosettes (spine only); gold-stamped inner edges.. DE QUATTUOR VIRTUTIBUS ST. AUGUSTINE / circa 900 stamped in gold on spine and upper cover.
Seven large decorated initials (4-6 lines, orange to orange-brown ink)
- LeMare (sixteenth century); bookplate of Henry White; sold London, Sotheby's, 1902, no. 91; Sidney C. Cockerell; book plate of George Dunn of Woolley Hall (1864-1912); London, Sotheby's, sale February 13, 1913, no. 387 to Maggs (bookseller); John Frederick Lewis, Philadelphia; given by his widow, Anne Baker Lewis, to the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1936; fol. 1r (flyleaf): contains partially legible inscription "3e Cotte ..." in seventeenth/eighteenth-century cursive hand, and number "5928" encircled written in nineteenth-century hand; fol. 48r (flyleaf): Signed in partially legible sixteenth-century hand "F... Lemare."
- De Ricci, Seymour, with the assistance of W. J. Wilson, Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada, vol. 2 (New York,: H. W. Wilson, 1935-40), p. 2044, no. 112.
- Free Library of Philadelphia, A Descriptive Catalogue of the John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts in the Free Library of Philadelphia, compiled by Edwin Wolf, 2nd, with an introduction by Dr. A.S.W. Rosenbach (Philadelphia: The Free Library, 1937), p. 26, no. 20.
- Collection of Sermons
- 11th century
- 12th century
- Caroline minuscule
- Church Fathers
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia, Lewis E 20: De quattuor virtutibus caritatis (On the four virtues of charity) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E 20: De quattuor virtutibus caritatis (On the four virtues of charity). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside front cover
6161_0001.tif (138.9 MB)
6161_0001_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
6161_0001_web.jpg (279.2 KB)
Fol. Flyleaf 4 recto; 1r
6161_0008.tif (138.9 MB)
6161_0008_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
6161_0008_web.jpg (274.9 KB)
Decoration: Partially legible inscription "3e Cotte ..." in seventeenth/eighteenth-century cursive hand, and number "5928" encircled written in nineteenth-century hand
Fol. Flyleaf 4 verso; 1v
6161_0009.tif (138.9 MB)
6161_0009_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
6161_0009_web.jpg (295.8 KB)
6161_0010.tif (138.9 MB)
6161_0010_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
6161_0010_web.jpg (319.2 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial D
6161_0098.tif (138.9 MB)
6161_0098_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
6161_0098_web.jpg (327.5 KB)
Decoration: Marginalia- face drawing
Fol. Flyleaf 1 recto; 48r
6161_0102.tif (138.9 MB)
6161_0102_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
6161_0102_web.jpg (372.9 KB)
Fol. Flyleaf 1 verso; 48v
6161_0103.tif (138.9 MB)
6161_0103_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
6161_0103_web.jpg (372.6 KB)
Inside back cover
6161_0110.tif (138.9 MB)
6161_0110_thumb.jpg (3.4 KB)
6161_0110_web.jpg (238.4 KB)