Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E 43 Biblical commentary
- Nicholas, of Lyra, approximately 1270-1349 (http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n81077197.html)
Other related names
- de Montefegatesio, Joachim Guerrinus, former owner
- Wright, John, former owner
- Lewis, John Frederick, 1860-1932, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/63874811/)
- Lewis, Anne Baker, former owner
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E 43
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
- deRicci: 130
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
This manuscript contains a fifteenth-century commentary on the Epistles of Saint Paul written by the theologian Nicholas of Lyra (1270-1340), who taught at the Sorbonne in Paris in the early fourteenth century.
- May be from the same scriptorium as Lewis E 47 and 188; all three are on laid paper with the watermark of a bull's head surmounted by a rose; scripts are similar and decorated initials are identical in style; all are ruled in brown ink for columns, but not for lines
- The remains of an insect are present in the right outer margin of fol. 113.
WatermarkBull's head surmounted by a rose--Briquet No. 14, 777 ?
ExtentIi+147+ii; 313 x 210 mm bound to 325 x 225 mm
FoliationModern foliation in pencil, upper right recto
Collation1 (11, +2), 2-6 (12), 7 (14), 8-9 (12), 10 (10), 11-12 (14)
CatchwordsHorizontal, lower right corner verso; fols. 11, 23, 35, 47, 59, 71, 85, 97, 109, 119, 133
BindingNineteenth-century German black calf with blind-tooled lattice pattern and stamps of lyres; pink paper pastedowns and endpapers; blind stamps of a crown along the spine; stamped in gold on spine: "EPISTOLAE PAULI CUM GLOSSA [LY]RA."
One large pen-flourished initial; smaller initials in red; manicules in red
- Brother Joachim Guerrinus de Montefegatesio, O.S.F., Winsted, Conn. Feb. 1873, (former librarian of Saint Bonaventura College, Saint Bonaventure, N.Y.), Rev. John Wright; John Frederick Lewis, Philadelphia; given by his widow, Anne Baker Lewis, to the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1936; Inscription of the verso of the last leaf: "Ad usum Fratris Joachim Guerrini de Montfegatesio O.S.F. Winstediae Mens. Februarii A.D. 1873"; Ex libris of Rev. John Wright on front pastedown; American (or English) sale entry pasted on front pastedown
- De Ricci, Seymour, with the assistance of W. J. Wilson, Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada, vol. 2 (New York,: H. W. Wilson, 1935-40), p. 2048, no. 130.
- Free Library of Philadelphia, A Descriptive Catalogue of the John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts in the Free Library of Philadelphia, compiled by Edwin Wolf, 2nd, with an introduction by Dr. A.S.W. Rosenbach (Philadelphia: The Free Library, 1937), p. 50, no. 43.
- 14th century
- 15th century
- Notable binding
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia, Lewis E 43: Biblical commentary are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E 43: Biblical commentary. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1r — Epistles of Saint Paul; incipit: Ecce descripsi tibi eam tripli[citer]. Prov. 22. Quod v[er]bum de sapie[nte] desc[ri]pt[i]o[n]e d[icitu]r . . .; explicit: D[omino] n[ost]ri ih[es]u [Christi] Cui est honor et gl[ori]am s[e]c[u]la secularum. Amen.
- fol. 146r — Table for the readings for Sundays and Feast Days
- fol. 147v — Inscription, "Ad usum Fratris Joachim Guerrini de Montfegatesio O.S.F. Winstediae Mens. Februarii A.D. 1873"
Inside front cover
5632_0001.tif (163.3 MB)
5632_0001_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
5632_0001_web.jpg (246.1 KB)
5632_0006.tif (163.3 MB)
5632_0006_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
5632_0006_web.jpg (455.9 KB)
Section: Epistles of Saint Paul
5632_0296.tif (163.3 MB)
5632_0296_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
5632_0296_web.jpg (457.7 KB)
Section: Table for the readings for Sundays and Feast Days
5632_0299.tif (163.3 MB)
5632_0299_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
5632_0299_web.jpg (222.2 KB)
Decoration: Inscription, "Ad usum Fratris Joachim Guerrini de Montfegatesio O.S.F. Winstediae Mens. Februarii A.D. 1873"
Inside back cover
5632_0304.tif (163.3 MB)
5632_0304_thumb.jpg (2.8 KB)
5632_0304_web.jpg (216.0 KB)