Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E 57 Carmen in honorem Beatae Mariae Virginis
TitleCarmen in honorem Beatae Mariae Virginis
Other related names
- Flachmann, Bartholdus and Flachmann, Johann, former owner
- Rosenthal, L., former owner
- Lewis, John Frederick, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/63874811)
- Lewis, Anne Baker, former owner
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E 57
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
- deRicci: 53
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
This manuscript contains fragments of a poem in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- The leaves of this manuscript fragment were used as part of the binding in a book belonging to Bartholdus and Johann Flachmann in 1491, as identified by the inscription: "Iste liber p[er]tin[et] bartoldo flachma[n] Alio [autem?] no[m]in]e peymis, Iste liber usum d[omi]no bartoldi flachma[n] Alio [autem?] no[m]i[n]e peyms An[n]o d[omi]ni M cccc lxxxxi,"(fol. 9v-10r) and "Johan[n]es flachma[n]" (fol. 3r)
ExtentIii+12+iii; 163 x 110 mm bound to 177 x 130 mm
FoliationModern foliation in pencil, upper right recto
BindingThree-quarter green leather with marbled-paper sides "Fragmentum Carminis In Honorem B.M.V. MS. XIII. Cent." on the spine
- Bartholdus and Johann Flachmann, 1491; L. Rosenthal, cat. 120, 1910, no. 194; (directly to?) John Frederick Lewis, Philadelphia; given by his widow, Anne Baker Lewis, to the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1936
- De Ricci, Seymour, with the assistance of W. J. Wilson, Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada, vol. 2 (New York,: H. W. Wilson, 1935-40), p. 2034, no. 53.
- Free Library of Philadelphia, A Descriptive Catalogue of the John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts in the Free Library of Philadelphia, compiled by Edwin Wolf, 2nd, with an introduction by Dr. A.S.W. Rosenbach (Philadelphia: The Free Library, 1937), p. 63, no. 57.
- 13th century
- Literature -- Poetry
- Caroline minuscule
- Binding waste
- These images and the content of Carmen in honorem Beatae Mariae Virginis are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
4222_0001.tif (56.7 MB)
4222_0001_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
4222_0001_web.jpg (456.2 KB)
lewis_e_057_body0047spineref.tif (11.9 MB)
lewis_e_057_body0047spineref_thumb.jpg (1.8 KB)
lewis_e_057_body0047spineref_web.jpg (65.9 KB)