Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E 235b Grammatical treatise
Other related names
- Calsoras, G., former owner
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E 235b
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
- deRicci: 357
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
LanguageGreek, Ancient (to 1453)
This manuscript is a palimpsest, in which a grammatical treatise was written in Greek cursive with no decoration in the fifteenth century on leaves from an earlier manuscript. The previous text, mostly not legible, was a late thirteenth- or early fourteenth-century copy of Ad correctionem eorum qui virtuose vivunt, by the fourth-century theologian Ephrem the Syrian, written in Greek minuscule (Kavrus-Hoffman). The lower, older text is perpendicular to the upper text. Three leaves of the older manuscript were used as bifolia and are sewn into a gathering with no binding.
Extent6; 178 x 115 mm bound to 178 x 115 mm
FoliationModern pagination in pencil, outer margins, 1-11; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto, 1-6; references in this record are to foliation
- Formerly owned by G. Calsoras; sale, Anderson Galleries, New York, March 10, 1909, no. 483
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia, Lewis E 235b: Grammatical treatise are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E 235b: Grammatical treatise. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1r — Grammatical treatise
6539_0000.tif (46.4 MB)
6539_0000_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
6539_0000_web.jpg (327.4 KB)
Section: Grammatical treatise