Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 5:19 Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 5:19
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- The Martyrdom of St. Ursula
- The text on reverse was added later.
- This miniature probably prefaced the Suffrage to St. Ursula in a book of hours. According to her legend, St. Ursula and her 11,000 virgin companions were all martyred at the hands of the Huns in the port of Cologne after Ursula refused to marry their king. Her cult achieved popularity in the later Middle Ages. The miniature was painted by an artist who has been associated with the Flemish scribe Guillebert de Metz.
- This image shows the reverse of a fragment with a full-page miniature from a book of hours. The Latin text is an excerpt of a prayer.
Extent126 x 180 mm
- 15th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 5:19: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 5:19: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.