Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 8:14a-d Bible historiale
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 8:14a-d
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- St. Peter preaching to a group of followers
- This miniature once marked the beginning of one of Peters Epistles in the deluxe illustrated Bible from which it was taken. The Bible historiale was a popular French translation of biblical history, especially among royal and aristocratic patrons. This miniature is one of several cuttings in the Free Library from the same manuscript illuminated by an artist in the workshop of the Virgil Master, a prominent illuminator known for his work in a copy of Virgil's Aeneid and Bucolics now in the Biblioteca Laurenziana in Florence, Italy.
- Solomon and the Queen of Sheba
- This miniature once marked the beginning of one of the Solomonic books in the deluxe illustrated Bible from which it was taken.
- St. John the Evangelist preaching to a group of followers
- This miniature once marked the beginning of one of Epistles of John in the deluxe illustrated Bible from which it was taken.
- Baruch reading his book to the Babylonians
- This miniature once marked the beginning of the deutero-canonical Book of Baruch in the deluxe illustrated Bible from which it was taken.
- These cuttings have been dated to ca. 1400-1405.
Extent80 x 84 mm
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 8:14a-d: Bible historiale are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 8:14a-d: Bible historiale. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Lewis E M 8.14a-d front d
7432_0000.tif (22.9 MB)
7432_0000_thumb.jpg (8.6 KB)
7432_0000_web.jpg (371.3 KB)
Lewis E M 8.14a-d reverse d
7432_0001.tif (22.9 MB)
7432_0001_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
7432_0001_web.jpg (228.8 KB)
Lewis E M 8.14a-d front a
7432_0002.tif (22.9 MB)
7432_0002_thumb.jpg (7.3 KB)
7432_0002_web.jpg (341.9 KB)
Lewis E M 8.14a-d reverse a
7432_0003.tif (22.9 MB)
7432_0003_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
7432_0003_web.jpg (199.6 KB)
Lewis E M 8.14a-d front b
7432_0004.tif (22.9 MB)
7432_0004_thumb.jpg (7.6 KB)
7432_0004_web.jpg (365.0 KB)
Lewis E M 8.14a-d reverse b
7432_0005.tif (22.9 MB)
7432_0005_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
7432_0005_web.jpg (237.4 KB)
Lewis E M 8.14a-d front c
7432_0006.tif (22.9 MB)
7432_0006_thumb.jpg (8.2 KB)
7432_0006_web.jpg (357.7 KB)