Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 9:6 Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 9:6
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- In the late fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries, the cult of St. Anne, the mother of the Virgin Mary, became especially popular, giving rise to a number of iconographic interpretations of her role in sacred history. In this image, the Virgin appears as an 'embryo' within her mother's womb, a reference to the belief in the Immaculate Conception.
- Initial G with St. Anne with the embryo of the Virgin in her womb
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting from a choir book with an historiated initial.
Extent95 x 91 mm
- 15th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 9:6: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 9:6: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.