Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 9:12 Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 9:12
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Allegory of Death
- This miniature marks the beginning of the Office of the Dead. Though these prayers were to be said for the dead to speed their way to heaven, it was also a reminder for the devotee of his or her own mortality. This scene depicts Death, represented as a corpse, about to strike an emperor and a pope, a reminder that no one, no matter how powerful he or she is, escapes death.
- This image shows the reverse of a leaf with a miniature from a book of hours.
Extent88 x 122 mm
- 15th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 9:12: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 9:12: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.