Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 10:2 Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 10:2
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- St. Elizabeth of Hungary
- This miniature once marked the Suffrage to St. Elizabeth of Hungary (d. 1231). St. Elizabeth was revered for her piety and charitable acts. After the death of her husband, the German landgrave Ludwig IV of Thuringia (d. 1227), St. Elizabeth renounced her worldly wealth and devoted herself to the care of the poor and sick. She is shown here holding a purse from which she has taken several coins to give away. The three crowns together at her feet are her attributes.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with a miniature from a book of hours. The rubric at the bottom of the leaf refers to the prayer to St. Elizabeth that would have begun on the next leaf in the original manuscript.
Extent98 x 146 mm
- 16th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 10:2: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 10:2: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.