Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 10:12 Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 10:12
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- The iconography of this miniature suggests that it may have once marked the beginning of None of the Hours of the Cross in a book of hours. The image of the Crucifixion typically begins this hour of the office when it is fully illustrated. The miniature was painted in the style of Willem Vrelant, one of the most influential illuminators working in Bruges during the third quarter of the fifteenth century. It is by the same hand and of the same dimensions as Lewis E M 10:11, indicating that these two cuttings once belonged to the same manuscript.
- This cutting can be dated to ca. 1480s
- This is the reverse of a cutting with a miniature from a book of hours.
Extent71 x 119 mm
- 15th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 10:12: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 10:12: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.