Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI
Lewis E M 11:2 Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 11:2
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Annunciation to the Shepherds
- This miniature introduces Sext of the Hours of the Virgin, which begins on the reverse. The Annunciation to the Shepherds usually precedes Terce, but here the artist has departed from tradition. The miniature, from the same manuscript as Lewis E M 1:3, was painted by the Master of Guillaume Lambert, an illuminator active in Lyons from 1475 to 1485. He is named after the scribe Guillaume Lambert, who signed his name in another manuscript illuminated by our artist.
- This cutting can be dated to ca. 1485.
- This image shows the reverse of a leaf with a miniature from a book of hours.
Extent116 x 180 mm
- 15th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 11:2: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 11:2: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.